FRIENDS OF ISOLA DELLE FEMMINE, INC (FOI)
ITALIAN-SICILIAN AMERICAN HERITAGE SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTIONS
4 – $1,000 Scholarships to be awarded
FOI will be offering college scholarships to high school and/or returning college students to members of the Friends of Isola delle Femmine, Inc (FOI), immediate family, (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren).
Requirements & Instructions
• Students accepted as a full-time student at a 2-year or 4-year college or university of their choice or a certified technical/trade school, or returning college student.
• Students’ parents or immediate family, i.e. grandparents, great grandparents, MUST BE A MEMBER of FOI in good standing.
• Attended high school and/or college in the USA.
• Minimum 3.0 GPA for students applying for a four (4) year college degree.
• Minimum 2.0 GPA for students applying for a technical/trade school or a junior college.
• Minimum 2.5 GPA for returning college students.
• Provide high school transcripts and/or college most recent grades.
• Two letters of recommendations; 1 from teacher/counselor, 1 from a member of the community.
• Demonstrate the ability to integrate community service with their academic & professional goals.
• Five (5) paragraphs, 250-300-word essay on “What Was It Like Growing Up Italian-Sicilian American?”
• Students chosen for an award is completely on the merits of the student’s application information.
The applicant will download application and instructions from our website and complete the application. Once completed the applicant will save the application on their computer, in case the application gets lost.
Send an email to Friendsofisola@gmail.com with the following attachments; the complete application, your transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and the essay to Friends of Isola delle Femmine, 6114 La Salle Avenue, #315, Oakland, Ca. 94611-2802.
FOI will be accepting applications beginning December 1, 2020.
Dead line for receiving applications will be March 1, 2021 by 11:59pm.
Awards will be given out on a date, time and location to be determined.
FOI will post our scholarship requirements on Face Book and FOI website with the online application on our website, www.friendsofisola.org.
Applications will be accepted beginning on December 1, 2020.
Deadline for applications will be March 1, 2021 by 11:59pm. Awards will be given out on a date, time and location to be determined.
The FOI Scholarship Committee will review all applications starting on March 4, 2021 to determine qualified applicants, at which time we will begin sorting out the top 12 applicants to be interviewed for the FOI scholarship awards.
The Scholarship Committee will condense the 12 applications by March 12, 2021.
If it becomes necessary, the Scholarship Committee will set up in-person interviews at a specific location or via a Zoom meeting format. There will be specific questions for each candidate to answer. A scoring sheet will be filled out by all interviewers. On Saturday March 20, 2021 the whole Scholarship Committee will convene to determine which students will receive the FOI Scholarship Awards.
On April 1, 2021, a representative of the Scholarship Committee would notify the winning students of their scholarship awards and make arrangements to present the awards. The committee will also contact the returning college student applicant to inform them of their award.
The Scholarship Committee will also contact the award-winning students FOI member relatives. Their names will be published on the FOI website and on Social Media as well as contacting the student’s schools.
The amount of funds we accumulate for scholarship awards will determine how much and how many scholarships will be available each year.