FRIENDS OF ISOLA DELLE FEMMINE, INC (FOI)
ITALIAN-SICILIAN AMERICAN HERITAGE 2024 SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS APPLICATION
REQUIREMENTS & INSTRUCTIONS
5 – $1,000 Scholarships to be awarded
FOI will be offering college scholarships to high school and/or returning college students to members of the Friends of Isola delle Femmine, Inc. (FOI), immediate family, (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren).
Requirements & Instructions
• Students accepted as a full-time student at a 2-year or 4-year college or university of their choice or a certified technical/trade school, or returning college student.
• Students’ parents or immediate family, i.e., grandparents, great grandparents, MUST BE A MEMBER of FOI in good standing and have been a member for one year.
• Attended high school and/or college in the USA.
• Minimum 3.0 GPA for students applying for a four (4) year college degree.
• Minimum 3.0 GPA for students applying for a technical/trade school or a junior college.
• Provide high school transcripts and/or college most recent grades.
• Two letters of recommendations; 1 from teacher/counselor, 1 from a member of the community.
• Demonstrate the ability to integrate community service with their academic & professional goals, i.e., volunteering, hours of service, etc.
• 250-300-word essay on “What Was It like Growing up Italian-Sicilian American?”
• Students chosen for an award is completely on the merits of the student’s application information.
• Returning students will have the same requirements as first-time students.
• Please provide a current photo of self.
RETURNING COLLEGE STUDENT REQUIREMENTS
• Minimum 3.0 GPA
• Provide copy of transcripts
• Letter requesting additional funding
• Letter of college experience (max 300 words)
• 2 reference letters
• Fill out on-line application
• Please provide a current photo of self.
NOTE: First priority consideration for scholarship awards to be given to first-time college bound applicants.
The applicant will download application and instructions from our website and complete the application. Once completed the applicant will save the application on their computer, in case the application gets lost.
Send an email to Friendsofisola@gmail.com with the following attachments: the complete application, your transcripts, two letters of recommendation, and the essay to Friends of Isola delle Femmine, 609 Claire Ct. Novato, Ca. 94949.
FOI will be accepting applications beginning FEBRUARY 1, 2024.
Dead line for receiving applications will be APRIL 15, 2024 by 11:59pm.
Awards will be given out at the annual FOI Scholarship Picnic in Martinez Saturday June 8, 2024. If there are any changes in date you will be notified.
FOI will post our scholarship requirements on Face Book and FOI website with the online application on our website, www.friendsofisola.org.
Applications will be accepted beginning on FEBRUARY 1, 2024.
Deadline for applications will be APRIL 15, 2024 by 11:59pm. Awards will be given out at the annual FOI Scholarship Picnic in Martinez, Saturday June 8, 2024. If there any changes to the date you will be notified.
The FOI Scholarship Committee will review all applications starting on APRIL 18, 2024 to determine qualified applicants, at which time we will begin sorting out the applicants to be interviewed for the FOI scholarship awards.
The Scholarship Committee will condense applications to the top 10 applications by APRIL 22, 2024.
If it becomes necessary, the Scholarship Committee will set up in-person interviews at a specific location or via a Zoom meeting format. There will be specific questions for each candidate to answer. A scoring sheet will be filled out by all interviewers. On APRIL 22, 2024 the entire Scholarship Committee will convene to determine which students will receive the FOI Scholarship Awards.
On TUESDAY MAY 7, 2024, a representative of the Scholarship Committee would notify the winning students of their scholarship awards and make arrangements to present the awards. The committee will also contact the returning college student applicant to inform them of their award.
The Scholarship Committee will also contact the award-winning students FOI member relatives. Their names will be published on the FOI website and on social media as well as contacting the student’s schools.
The amount of funds we accumulate for scholarship awards will determine how much and how many scholarships will be available each year.